Charlotte Mason taught foreign language songs even before she started teaching solfa. Children of all ages can join in singing these songs together.
A great first Russian song to learn is sung to our traditional American happy birthday song. After you’ve mastered it, you can start to learn some longer Russian children’s songs. Each song below includes a video, written-out lyrics, a rough translation, and musical notation (where available).
- Chunga Changa / Чунга чанга
- Kalinka / Kалинка
- Katyusha / Катюша
- Little Fir Tree / В лесу родилась ёлочка
- Little Grasshopper / Маленький кузнечик
- Russian Birthday Song / Песенка крокодила Гены (Чебурашка)
- The Song of Bremen’s Musicians / Песня бременских музыкантов
- Song of the Volga Boatmen / Эй, ухнем!
- Two Merry Geese / Два веселых гуся
Weekly Russian is a YouTube channel with many playlists. Some have English titles. Any with the phrase “Детские песни” are songs for children.